The Government of India set up Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE). on 1st March 2002 under the provisions of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001. The mission of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency is to assist in developing policies and strategies with a thrust on self-regulation and market principles, within the overall framework of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 with the primary objective of reducing energy intensity of the Indian economy.
Role of BEE
BEE co-ordinates with designated consumers, designated agencies and other organizations and recognize, identify and utilize the existing resources and infrastructure, in performing the functions assigned to it under the Energy Conservation Act. The Energy Conservation Act provides for regulatory and promotional functions.
The Major Promotional Functions of BEE include:
- Create awareness and disseminate information on energy efficiency and conservation.
- Arrange and organize training of personnel and specialists in the techniques for efficient use of energy and its conservation.
- Strengthen consultancy services in the field of energy conservation.
- Promote research and development in the field of energy conservation.
- Develop testing and certification procedures and promote testing facilities.
- Formulate and facilitate the implementation of pilot projects and demonstration projects.
- Promote use of energy efficient processes, equipment, devices and systems.
- Take steps to encourage preferential treatment for usage energy efficient equipment or appliances.
- Promote innovative financing of energy efficiency projects.
- Give financial assistance to institutions for promoting efficient use of energy and its conservation.
- Prepare educational curriculum on efficient use of energy and its conservation.
- Implement international co-operation programmes relating to efficient use of energy and its conservation.
Primary Functions of BEE include:
- Coordinate with the State Designated Agencies for state-level implementation of the provisions of the EC Act.
- Recommend the Central Government on matter related to adoption and notification of energy consumption norms and standards for different sections of energy consumers and equipment manufacturers with the objective of promotion energy efficiency and conservation in the country.
- Identify and prepare database of energy intensive industries and device schemes for making these industries energy efficient.
- Arrange & organize training and capacity building programs for personnel and specialists for strengthening consultancy services in the field of energy efficiency.
- Develop infrastructure for supporting energy conservation promotion and implementation activities in the country.
- Regulation and enforcement energy efficiency norms for different users & stakeholders.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (Govt of India, Ministry of Power)
4th Floor, Sewa Bhawan, R. K. Puram
New Delhi- 110 066, India.
Tel: 011- 26179699
Fax: 011- 26178352
Visit BEE Website: https://beeindia.gov.in
Last Modified on : 11-04-2019